Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's the new Jan Brady!

Hi, friends! Welcome to the new, nipped-and-tucked Blog 'O Shannon. Not only have I usurped the latest and greatest blogger background, but I'm making some changes and will be cataloguing some new adventures.

First of all, though the blog is titled "But I Digress," I am not going to focus my posts so much on the ADHD stuff. At the time I started the blog, I had just recently been diagnosed with the, uh, "Set of personality traits" and was dealing with how that affected me and integrating this new information into my identity. Don't worry - if I put my car keys in the freezer or the dog in the washing machine, you'll be the first to know. But it won't be all "Forsooth! What is-eth this thing that they call ADHD? Is it animal, mineral, or vegetable? Whyeth must I know no focus and when shall I finally be.... shit, what was the rest of that sentence?"

Cuz that's lame. I'll also try to update more and write shorter stuff cuz, hey, if a magazine article is supposed to be as long as the average human bathroom visit, then I think the average time it takes to read a blog should be "quick enough I can be sure the boss doesn't catch me at work." Or I guess, average bathroom visit, if you have an iPhone (now go wash your hands, you filthy bastard).

Finally, my new adventure. Perhaps there will be other adventures soon, but, right now, my focus is on eating well and getting into shape. I am lucky enough to say that most of the things in my life are going pretty great right now; I have a job I like, I'm writing most weeks, my dog doesn't bark as much as he used to, I have a parking spot, and I'm in love with a super hunky, dorky, smarty-pants man who loves me lots and lots. But this one thing, knowing that I'm overweight and knowing that I'm not so healthy, has plagued me for a while. So, I have embarked on a 6 month long, hopefully lifestyle-changing nutrition adventure. It's a lot of baby steps so I'm not even thinking about the exercise part right now or counting calories. For the last few weeks I've been trying to eat good stuff -- lots of berries, some leafy greens (as much as I can handle), organic meats and cheeses, almond milk, greek yogurt, almond butter and apples, and my daily, super-awesome smoothie.

So come along, children, and join me on my antioxidant-filled jaunt down the path that leads to cardiac health and hot and sexy jeans. If nothing else, I promise it'll be funny.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Makes me wanna join you!

Jess said...

Good on you, Shannon! But be careful with that almond butter! I recently bought a creamy jar that was so smooth and lovely, just like ice cream. So I ate it straight out of the jar in about two sittings, just like a carton of ice cream....

Gina Pera said...

Hi Shannon,

Forsooth! I think it's great that you're branching out on your blog.

People with ADHD might have in common various degrees and types of traits -- but there's a whole lot more to an individual than that. And that's an important message.

Meanwhile, love the menu....can I come eat at your house?

I'll look to you for inspiration as I try to lose a few pounds, too. My husband had to push me up some hills on a hike this weekend, and I'm sure it was those extra pounds I'm carrying!

g

Gina Pera said...

P.S. I just love this background. It would make a beautiful dress!

Shannon said...

Gina-

Holy crap, it's YOU, like THE Gina Perla!!! Hah! That is so cool! I love your book. :) I gave it to may boyfriend to read when we first started dating and, in retrospect, might have waited because it let him know a whole lot of things that he was "in for" that he wasn't yet aware of.

And you can come over any time! Wait until you see my Quinoa egg bake coming up in a few days. ;)

Shannon "Big Fan" Corder

Gina Pera said...

HI Shannon,

Oh, I feel badly..... :-(

I usually advise all potential readers who have ADHD to read it BEFORE giving it to their partners. Especially if it's a young relationship.

I try to stress, over and over, that ADHD is variable, with all range of symptoms and degree of severity. Some mild. Some extra spicy.

Some "partners of" will read it and feel really grateful that their partners don't have the worst-case scenario ADHD. So, it can work that way, too.

I hope it didn't create problems for you. That surely wasn't my intent. :-(

tx
g

Gina Pera said...

I'll keep an open mind about the quinoa. Both my husband and I have tried to eliminate wheat/gluten, and quinoa was an option.

I can't say my husband was thrilled with warm quinoa for breakfast. That went down only with a lot of maple syrup. ;-)