Thursday, July 30, 2009

Book Reviews by...Oh, look, a ladybug!

Summer is a great time for leisure reading. Whether it’s by the pool, on the beach, or on the 2’x2’ slab of concrete next to the dumpster behind my house, it just feels right. Here are some great summer reads to suit everyone’s taste:*


The Castaways: A Novel Hardcover by Elin Hilderbrand
Hilderbrand has a sort of whimsy to her writing that is at the same time clever and nostalgic, without ever being saccharine. Her imagery takes the reader to a simpler time. I couldn’t help but think of this one time, when my grandparents took me on this vacation in their motor home and the motor home was SO COOL especially, like if you were a little kid because it had bears ALL OVER it. Like, the seats all had these latch-hook seat covers shaped like bears and the pillows were bear heads and all of the corners of the cupboards or anything you could hit your head on had these little Koala Bears stuck to them with Velcro and I loved to take them down and play with them. I told my grandma that Koala Bears weren’t real bears, like Panda Bears, but she didn’t mind that I was a know-it-all because that’s just how grandma’s roll, you know?


Burn: A Novel
Linda Howard
Though Howard sets up a promising premise, the reader is left adrift sorting through the author’s web of loose ends. This is probably because the reader stopped reading at page 20 and started playing Bubbletown on Facebook.


Black Hills
Nora Roberts
Roberts is a master of both suspense and romance. Once again, in Black Hills, she does not disappoint. For example, page 82 has a really hot sex scene. Page 134 too. And, even though they don’t go all the way, I highly recommend pages 37, 46, 98, and 113. The rest of the book is probably good too but I couldn’t tell ya.


Why the Devil Chose New England for His Work
Short Stories by Jason Brown
This book has a really pretty cover. I think that people are really impressed when they see this book on my bookshelf because the title is so enigmatic and pretentious.


*I did not actually read any of these books so please don’t NOT read any of them because of anything I said here.

No comments: