Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Beautiful Ice Sculpture

This morning, I was in the cafe at the school I work at, and noticed, for the first time, this lovely zen fountain. The cafe has just been redone and one corner is the "Casablanca corner" and is decorated in a fun, eclectic, Afro-Mediterranean sort of way. I had seen this fountain but not really looked at it closely.

It was beautiful. While water spilled out of one main cup-looking spout in the middle, the movement of the water pushed these other small cup things floating on the surface in a circle around the center cup sculpture. Not only that, but I noticed that the cups were all made out of metal tuned to different pitches so, as the cups floated around the fountain, they gently bumped into one another making light, ethereal tinkling noises.

I was transfixed by this fountain, man. I could've started at that thing for like five minutes and must've stood there for at least a good 60-90 seconds, contemplating the fountain. Who must've picked this fountain out? How did they choose it? Did it make them as calm and happy to view it as it did me? And how many times have I or other people walked past it without even giving it a second glance?

And that's when I realized: Oh shit. I forgot to take my Ritalin today.

5 comments:

Jess said...

That is the potential beauty of a med-free day. Of course, there are plenty of uglies on a med-free day too, but how lovely!

Shannon said...

Yes, I remember one of the first days I was on my Rx and I forgot it, and I watched a butterfly outside the window while my family was having a conversation and thought "hmmm, maybe I won't take this ALL the time." But then I leave my wallet in a Wendy's or something and think "hmmm, maybe I should inject this."

Shelley Chidley said...

Wait, was it an ice sculpture, or a fountain? I'm confused.

Shannon said...

No, it was a fountain. "The Beautiful Ice Sculpture" is a private joke w/me and Jen that is totally not worth explaining because it won't be funny. :P

Shannon said...

I lied, it's "the lovely ice sculpture." So it doesn't even make sense as an inside joke...