Tuesday, August 11, 2009

SWADHDF (single white ad/hd female)

I totally came up with a great blog idea this morning and now I can't remember it. I am not making this up.

So here's my other blog idea, that I TOTALLY STOLE from an ongoing email thread between my ADHD Positive friends. I'll call them Steph and Jess. They really are named Steph and Jess but I'm going to call Jess Steph and call Steph Jess so that I can pretend that I'm being anonymous. Only I'm not going to refer to them individually at all, so it will make no difference. Besides, I think they're approximately 1/2 my reading audience.

Side note: Steph and Jess had never been introduced before and got along famously. You can say it's just the anonymity of the Internet, but I think there is some sort of common bond that makes a lot of AD/HD peeps friends at first tangent. Certainly I've met a few I've wanted to punch in the face, but for the most part it seems like a strange, whimsical sorority. (I realize that this excludes dudes, but most of my AD/HD friends are female, for some reason. Also, what dude doesn't want to crash a sorority party???)

So anyway. Jess and Steph were discussing the idea that there should be a website dedicated to men who want to date women with ADD. I actually disagree, because I think it's better to surprise them a few weeks into the relationship. Just kidding. Not that you want to "warn" someone ahead of time, but an AD/HD peep definitely wants to look for a mate who is going to, shall we say, "compliment" her personality. Here's what Jess (the real Jess, not the Stephanie Jess), whose hilarious and intelligent blog can be found on my sidebar, said the profile of her ideal man would read as such:

"I like women with random conversation tangents, who take on too many projects to ever complete, who forget things and lose things around the house 10 times a day, who ask repeatedly when an event begins because writing it down in ten places and putting it on the Google calendar isn't enough, who get so absorbed in Mah-jongg Solitaire that they lose track of time and go to bed at 2 AM instead of 11 PM, and who make impulse decisions or can't make any decisions because the options are all so intriguing."

Well, everyone has a type. I'm sure there's someone out there for ya, Jess. GOOD LUCK. (Oh man, is she screwed.)

Jk. Jess's description of herself could easily be that of myself or Stephanie (the real Stephanie, not the Jess Stephanie), just substitute Bubbletown or World of Warcraft for Mah-jongg Solitaire, respectively. Edward Hallowell, author of several AD/HD self help books and go-to guy for all things AD/HD related says in the book "Delivered from Distraction" that probably the two most important "treatments" for a person with AD/HD are to find the right job and marry the right person. Of course, we all want a job we love and to find "the right person" (if we're looking, of course - and certainly monogamy may not be for all those w/AD/HD). I think what Dr. Hallowell is saying is that choosing the right mate can be immensely helpful when it comes to managing one's AD/HD symptoms. But what is this "right person" for someone with AD/HD?

Definitely it's different for each person, but I think it's safe to say that most AD/HD peeps need a certain sort of understanding. I'm making it sound like we're damaged goods, which I don't believe we are. I guess the way I should say it is that, as people with AD/HD, we will be much happier with someone who is the type to be a little more involved in their mate's life than maybe some would prefer. Instead of trying to describe this intangible thing, let me give you a few examples from my own life, since Jason has told me several times how much he likes it when I broadcast details about our personal life on the web. Jason is a particularly nurturing person, by which I mean I think he has an innate drive within him to want to help others, especially his close loved ones. This works well for me because, as it turns out, I need a lot of help. (Including professional help.) Once I got over that big hurdle of realizing that having AD/HD meant I was going to need to start asking others for help, it was a very nice surprise to have someone waiting for me, ready to help. Sometimes it's a very small thing, like setting a reminder on his iPhone for me to give Lando his monthly flea treatment, and sometimes it's big things continually prodding me about my writing. He's a neatnick (so he cleans) but not obsessively so (so he can actually live with me). I do still have guilt over the fact that he will probably always do the dishes much, much, much more often than I do, though he tries to reassure me that this can just be "his job." I don't know what "my job" is, though. Certainly not dusting or vacuuming. I should add here that probably the best thing any AD/HD couple can do for themselves is hire a cleaning lady. Ours quit. Anyone got a good one?

It seems like Jason and I have a good understanding where he is helping me but in a way that enables me to help myself rather than just smother him or use him as a crutch. Hopefully he agrees with this ascertation. He also seems to enjoy my tangents and unpredictablility, while having extra stores of patience and understanding. It seems like the AD/HD mate should help to provide a some extra structure but be flexible enough to roll with the AD/HD punches and enjoy some quality out-of-the-box thinking. What do you guys think?

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Too funny, Shannon. And oh so true. I think that as long as the person with ADHD can acknowledge his or her flaws and laugh them off, all will be okay. The problem comes when a person with ADHD forgets to do something, for example, and instead of apologizing, he or she gets defensive and makes excuses. That just adds fuel to the "non-afflicted" partner's fire and things escalate from there. Jason sounds like a saint. Me, not so much.

Shannon said...

Thanks for your feedback, Cindy. It's great to hear what it's like "from the other side." Jason is a saint - I'm sure you are being too hard on yourself. I always found you to be very understanding of my AD/HD stuff.

I think that defensiveness is something I have to be careful about too - it's good to have a reminder. :)

Mike P. said...

Well, if he does all that AND loves Star Wars, he sounds pretty cool. Why haven't we met him again?

Oh, and since I'm pretty sure you'll read this soon, Hi, Jason. You sound cool. We hope to meet you soon.

Jess said...

Thanks for crushing my dreams, Shan.
But seriously, you got to be careful with those saints because he may need help from you sometime and even if he's really happy right now to help you when you forget x and y, that can turn into resentment when the going gets rough. Umm, as my fantasy single ad suggests, I know a thing or two about would-be saints and needing help partners. Ask got it and be grateful and show it big time and be ready to buck up if hard times hit him.
Oh, it's hard out there for a SWADHDF...

Blind Dog Megan said...

This blog is funny and helpful as a friend of adult adhd peops.

I'm curious to know more about the perfect job thing for ADHD folks. Something with lots of structure and multiple projects? What do you think would be an ideal job for a person with ADHD? Should it be important for co-workers to know about the diagnosis? Do people you work with know about it?
So curious! More! (*makes sign language for more sign like a 2 year old*)

Shelley Chidley said...

Aww. What a sweet description of your relationship.

Jess said...

I think the topic of ideal jobs for ADHD peops should definitely be covered, because I wonder those things all the time. When an ADHD person is on, they hyper focus and can have pretty high expectations of self and others, perfectionism seeking, detailed obsessed. Good management material of other people. But maybe too much. And when they are off, disorganization and overwhelming feelings and self doubt kick in--not so good for managing people.

Self employment takes a lot of self imposed time management, which is really hard to do without a zillion timers, appointments and obligations to frame things around and overall organization of ideas and space.

And being someone's staff can be great, if they have strong management skills and are really clear about what is the ADHD's job description and what tasks they don't have to do or worry about because those tasks are in someone else's job description, and if they set really clear deadline and priorities for the ADHD employee. A half-ass boss is hell for ADHD people because they end up wasting time picking up other people's slack or putting energy into a less important task instead of the necessary one, and being late to finish projects because the priorities and time management gets wacky and their specific role hasn't been very clearly set forth by the boss.

Wow, this is turning into my own little blog on Shanny's page. Take note: time management/priority confusion example! Jess writes comments that are epic but can't finish her novel or write consistently on her own blog! But I digress!

I have questions and thoughts about teamwork and working alone ADHD challenges too, because they come up, especially for the perfection-seeking ADHD folks or the overwhelmed, slow starting ADHD peeps. I can be super driven and want my colleagues to be at that same level--it's caused me frustration and discord with a colleague or two before because I start taking on their stuff or resent them and they feel like their toes are getting stepped on. Or I might not be as efficient with my time, and low self esteem and frustration with self kicks in. But working alone is really difficult and it is isolating and lonely. And being a boss--I don't like nagging people because I nag myself enough as it is. SO there are difficulties in all these facets.

Right NOW, I think jobs that have basic time structure built in but have regularly changing short term, specific projects and have people not always working in the same teams or with the same leader are nice. Because the overwhelm is short, deadlines are set, time structure is there, and there is social interaction but it doesn't get stagnant and ADHD people like bright shiny new things all the time.

And telling people... God, that's like three blogs alone. It's so misunderstood because of hyper little boys and historical media and Ritalin issues with kids--lots of stereotypes and scepticism. Esp. w/ ADHD women because girl and adult symptoms are really different from that ADHD perception. Telling people=complicated and maybe not worth it.

Shannon said...

Jess - I love that you left a long comment. My hope was for this to become a conversation so it's great!

And yes, I TOTALLY plan on writing blogs in the future both about a good AD/HD job and about whether or not to tell people (actually, I started writing that one and then got... you know... distracted...).

Jess said...

Distracted, you? I don't believe--hey, cute guy at the coffee bar... what was I saying?