Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why the LA Public Library is a Boon for AD/HD peeps

1. Rather than compulsively spending money at amazon.com in order to satiate that AD/HD "itch," I can compulsively look up a bunch of books on amazon.com and then put them on hold at the library.

2. Can get lots of books at once so I'm not bored.

3. Reading stimulates my brain, which makes it happy and focused.

4. The library is nice enough to send me little emails when my books are about to become overdue so I don't have to pay fines (er, I don't pay them as often as I would if I didn't have the reminders).

5. Short walk to library gives me an excuse to take a break and get out of the office.

6. Numerous homeless people hanging out around library make me feel very clean and successful, and also reassure me that there's a cool place to hang out if I'm ever homeless

The one bad thing about the LA Public library for AD/HD peeps:

1. Possibility that all of my holds will become available at one time and I'll never actually read anything, just look at the pictures in the "French for Dummies" book.

Update: As I wrote this blog, I had this nagging feeling that I was forgetting something about the library but couldn't put my finger on it. Looked up my record and, sure enough, "French Demystified" is overdue by two days. Oh well. They need money from somewhere, right?

3 comments:

Gina Pera said...

Great post! I love the library for all the same reasons!

It's also where I discovered that Adult ADHD exists.

But our library system occasionally has a blip and I don't receive the "courtesy overdue warnings." When I complain about the fines, the library says, "It's a courtesy!"

cheers,

Gina Pera

jen said...

"cool place to hang out if ever homeless." you make me laugh. :)

L8dybug said...

This is me EXACTLY! Currently, I have 2 books about ADHD, one or two about Anxiety, a book about girls and confidence (I have 2 daughters), a cookbook or two and several novels that I learned about somewhere and requested. That reminds me.... I have one that needs to be picked up....